Skip to main content

Video Marketing for Small Business


by Joshua Botello

Using video for creating content and growing your business is the most powerful way to reach your customers. 86% of marketers say video has helped them generate leads for their business. Here at the SBDC, we create all kinds of content that most SBDCs don’t and have seen an increase in clients due to our video strategies. In this video, I'll show you my process for creating this video and how long it takes me. I’ll show what tools I use and some tips if you are just getting started. Lights, Cameras, and action. 

Pre Production

At the very beginning of the process and before I even set up my tripod, I create a huge list of ideas to work with. I start with one or two-word subject titles that a video might be about but not every idea is a winner or will work at that time. I do this about once or twice a year. This gives me a huge list that I can write in a doc, spreadsheet, or anything else you use to record your ideas. Check out my video on blogging since most of my ideas are based on blogs. 

Project Management 

Once I have a bunch of video ideas, I keep them in some kind of document on my computer and then set them up in my project management software of choice: Trello. I just copy and paste each topic into Trello cards and they will just live in the app until I start working on it. I have templates for the video to start working on it and each phase of the process. This takes me like 20 -30 mins depending on the number of topics I come up with at any given time. 

Scripting

Once I'm ready to start working on a video, I’ll start on an outline. This takes like 10 mins if you want to just do this and have a hard time working on a video at any given time. The scripting part takes the longest and I could work on it for an hour or two depending on the amount of research I need. 

Scripting is different from blogging because there are a few different ways to do it and I like to put in production cues or notes so I know at a glance what I need to account for when filming or editing. I may send it out to the SBDC to take a peek to see if it makes sense or if there’s anything I should add. I don't do this very often so I'm not counting towards my time but could take a couple of days just so you know. 

Production

Once we have a script ready, time to create, but before we can record something we need to have the equipment. This is what gets people hung the most when it comes to creating videos: They need to have the best equipment. 

Equipment

Camera

I exclusively use my EOS-M6 because of the flip screen and wireless transfer of files to my phone or an iPad. You don't need to buy a NEW camera if you are just starting. My iPhone 12 Pro shoots 4k and is more than enough to publish online and you can use some 3rd party apps to get more control over your video like a DSLR. My best advice is to use whatever camera you have. If you have a phone, use it. If you have a DSLR to shoot video, learn to use that. 

Lighting

Lighting is what makes a good video, good. Cameras simply work better with more light and better quality light. You can get a cheap photo/video light setup for $100 and make it look good. If you are really on a budget you can grab 3 light stands and work lights for $50 altogether. My setup includes a led panel light and a small led light that can be battery-powered for on-location setups if needed. 

Audio

Audio is just as important as the video aspect since half of the viewing experience is sound. If you were to invest any money in anything audio is where it would be ok. You can still get better sound with a cheap setup like an external mic or lavalier and connect it directly to your camera or phone. If you are really serious about audio for your videos then a dual system sound setup or recording sound in two places and then adding it in editing might be a good idea but not for beginners.

Set up

Setting up your shot is going to be a skill you need to learn as far as lighting and how your camera is set up. Where you set up will be a matter of logistics and if it’s possible to leave your setup in a particular room or if you set up and break down every time you record. Remember to keep your background and set clean but don't get too hung up on what it is. I’ve used a few different sets from my home office (now my wife’s), an empty office in the SBDC, or directly from my desk. I still get views and subscribers because the content is good.

Delivery

Once you have set up and ready to press record you have to deliver your content. If you have a good memory then you could memorize some key points of your video and riff when you can. I am not that good. What I do is script out my video. Many YouTubers can’t stand this but since I use a small teleprompter for my phone and can practice my delivery. This makes my recording of a 10 min video take a mere 15 -20mins. 

Post Production 

Now that you have your video recorded, it’s time to edit. There are a few small steps to getting your video finished. 

Editing

Starting the editing process begins with what is called ingestion. This is basically taking your footage and saving it to your editing computer to get ready for the edit. I save my footage to a folder before I wipe it from the SD cards. Then we handle an assembly, which involves putting your footage in the timeline and roughly putting things together. What makes the final cut is adding transitions and b-roll or supplemental footage. 

Graphics

Graphics are the final part of my edit. This also includes a b-roll to illustrate specific points. These supplemental photos or videos will come from sites like Pexels or Pixabay if I don't shoot this stuff myself. Other graphics are assets that I’ve pre-made like the opening, Chiron, and final and end screen that can be made in either Canva or Keynote.

Approvals

Once I think I have a final cut put together, I’ll render or save the video out into its final product according to Youtube standards where my video will live. Editing can take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours depending on the  You will want to know your setting for wherever the video will be. I will then distribute the video to my office and boss and get their input before publishing. This takes a day and usually is pretty easy with our cloud storage. 

Publishing

Now that you have your video ready it’s time to publish. You should already have a platform your video will live once it gets published online. 

Scheduling 

As you are creating and publishing your videos, scheduling will be very important to keeping up your video schedule or managing the creation of each video. Most platforms can schedule videos in advance to help your strategy and for you to work in your company because creating videos isn’t your business. 

Youtube

One of the biggest platforms for video is YouTube, the second largest search engine next to Google. I use the Youtube studio to upload the videos, create a description, video thumbnails, cards to other videos, and an end screen. All of these details are best practices for getting found on the platform. You can use tools like VidIQ or Tubebuddy to get these tips and check additional stats from Youtube. 

Blog & Chambers

To increase the SEO of our content, we take the scripts to our videos and turn them into blog posts. We have a blog that hosts the video for each post that is embedded on the page. This helps the video get seen and connects the SEO of the blog and the video. To increase the visibility of the blog and the video, we also partner with local chambers to post on their sites and build backlinks. 

Promotion

With our video published and embedded in our blog and with our partners, we aren’t done yet. There are some ways to increase the visibility of your video going forward. 

Snippets

Snippets of the full-length video are a great way to promote your video on social media around the time your video is published and to drive traffic to your youtube video or blog. Creating these snippets can be shortened tips or specific sections of your video. I don't create new content, I just transform it to maximize my time and not forever for every promotion for each platform. 

Repurposing

The other strategy I employ for our video marketing is to repurpose our video snippets to promote the video for the future. I create a few snippets up to about 5 and post them weeks after the video is published but still look different and connect to a large informational video. You can repurpose the video however you can. You can even script your videos to make snippets and repurposing easier.   

Reuploading

The final way of promoting our video content is by reuploading. This isn’t just posting your video again and again but making it available for viewing at strategic times. How I do this is to reupload the full video 1 week after teasing on Facebook and Linkedin or any other platform you work with. Then I use different snippets and other content repurposed from my main video every quarter or so for a year. You should always change up your copy and thumbnails on social media so platforms like Facebook don’t penalize you for just reposting. 

Conclusion

Video marketing as a small business is not difficult to begin but takes dedication to maintain. It’s an investment. It takes time, commitment and strategy to create content to grow your business. Creating video pays dividends to attract business but like any attempt at content marketing, it is a lot of work. If you need help with marketing for your business contact us here at the University of La Verne SBDC for free consulting for your business. 

Let me know what you think. Does video seem right for your business? Have you wanted to start creating videos but did know where to start? Let me know in the comments below.

Funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration. All opinions, conclusions, and/or recommendations expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the SBA.

Comments